Goat Island course review April 4th 2019

Thought I’d post a quick review of this course since it’s been mostly underwater since last fall. My round this morning would be the first time I’ve played this course since September 2018 and I live about 8 minute from it. So, I was anxious to check it out and curious to see how it looked.

Pros;

• Scenery…this place is unique. Sandy creek banks, HUGE sycamore trees and some intimidating tee shots give this course a character all it’s own. Additionally, it plays very differently as the seasons change.

• The whole course was playable, all tee pads were clear and all baskets were in good condition.

• Raised wooden walkways leading to #6’s tee pad and away from the basket to #7 have been rebuilt and look to be a major improvement over what was there last year.

• Fairways were clear of any major dead fall.

• Some holes seemed more open than usual due the lack of vegetation. So many months underwater seems to have cleared a lot of undergrowth. This will quickly change as the temps go up.

Cons;

• They (Cramerton) have built a wooden fence along the walkway to the bridge to keep people off the steep hillside. I understand the purpose is to keep people from falling down trying to ascend and descend the hillsides (a problem all of us that play DG have had there), but steps would have done the same thing. Now when you are leaving long #3’s tee pad you must go backward to end of the fence, walk the path, cross the bridge, walk down to #4’s tee pad, then either go down #4’s fairway or walk back toward #3 short pad to then walk down to your disc parked beside the basket. This same fence causes you to walk on #10’s fairway/green after teeing on #18 to get to the path and head over to #18’s basket, where you are in play for people teeing on #2. Kinda seems like an ill conceived solution to a problem that seemed easy to fix to me. At the end of day, it just adds to your step counter. Not a big deal.

• Bugs are already out. This is nothing new to those of us who play this course often, but they were really swarming on the back nine. If you’re a mosquito magnet like I am, bug spray is a must here. If you have ever been called a “mouth breather” or a “fly catcher” you might want to bring a bandanna and cover your face to prevent inhalation of insects.

• Construction (I believe for the Thread Trail) is still ongoing, so you have to tee from a temp pad on #1.

Conclusion;
I was very happy to see the course survived all the weather events of the past six or seven months mostly intact. As much as I sometimes hate this course, I love it too and really enjoy being out there. Bug spray and staying in the fairways are your keys to survival here. As aggravating as the fence was to me, it won’t deter me from going there and it shouldn’t deter any of you either. If you’ve never played it, you should get out there and try it. While you’re in the area, check out the other G-Town courses, you won’t be disappointed.